Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday...

You just got to love kids. They are so innocent and yet sometimes they ask the hardest and most intelligent questions....

This morning I explained to Stella that I would be picking her up from school a bit early to head to church for the Good Friday service. She looked at me and said "Mom, Teta (Arabic for grandma) said that today is when Jesus dies for us on the cross. Is that true?" Growing up I remember asking my mom a very similar questions. In fact, never understood why today was called "Good Friday." What was so good about it if Jesus was crucified? In fact, when we go to church on Good Friday, the service and all of the hymns are quite solemn and subdued. Often times people are wearing black and crying....

Then one Sunday, I was reminded by one of my most favorite Sunday School teachers (my dad) why we call today "Good Friday." He reminded us of what the Jewish authorities and Romans did to Jesus; this was definitely not good (see Matthew chapters 26-27). However, he continued, the results of Christ’s death are very good! Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Finally he taught us that the events of Good Friday should be ever on our minds because the death of Christ on the cross is a paramount event of the Christian faith.

Today I am reminded by my faith that we are all so lucky. Lucky to have a Father that would die for us and for our sins. I hope as a parent I can instill those same beliefs and faith that my parents and Sunday School teachers did in me to my children. So that one day my children can appreciate what Good Friday means to the Christian faith and pass it on to their children as well.

"Remember me, O Lord, when you come into Your Kingdom." Luke 23:42

No comments:

Post a Comment